Watch this journal for pictures that make me happy from my everyday life, proof of my commitment to a healthier and happier life, plus pictures and links to recipes that are food-allergy safe.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Oh, my goodness.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

This was the Whole Foods Organic 365 Chocolate Cake mix. It calls for buttermilk and/or yogurt and 3 eggs. I can't do eggs and I didn't have any yogurt on hand, so I used a glob of unsweetened applesauce and heavy whipping cream. Oh and it called for vanilla extract, but I didn't have any, so I used some vanilla syrup that I have for my lattes.

Oh, my God. That mixed up into a mousse. It was by far the BEST cake I have ever made.

On top of that, I had CANNNED FROSTING to put on it. Now, this frostings #1 ingredient was "confectioners sugar". I know as well as the next guy that unless it specifically says otherwise, confections sugar is sugar and corn starch. But it had been sent to me by my best friend and his beautiful wife for my birthday, so I decided to try it anyway.



I did NOT get sick. I was amazed. And yeah, I ate the whole cake myself.

So imagine my dismay to see this listed on their website:

herrybrook Kitchen is committed to making products that are safe and of the highest quality. We have, therefore, made the decision to discontinue our Ready To Spread Chocolate Frosting due to quality concerns related to shelf life. Please note that the quality concerns are NOT RELATED to allergens or food allergies, and there is no food safety concern. Additionally, our baking mixes, cookies and Vanilla Frosting products are not affected.

So sad! But I will totally make that cake again on a special occasion, even if I just top it with whipped cream. It was just absolutely luscious. If you've been dissapointed by gluten free cake mixes, try it. You won't regret it.

No comments: