Watch this journal for pictures that make me happy from my everyday life, proof of my commitment to a healthier and happier life, plus pictures and links to recipes that are food-allergy safe.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Less is More!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

I took my first bite of the last bowl of pasta and threw it out. I've been trying to be super-creative so as not to get bored with a very limited diet, but... yuck. We'll write that one off as just a BAD IDEA. I replaced it with a bowl of plain pasta, no butter or anything, with just a sprinkling of pasta seasoning. Yum. WOW, why didn't anyone tell me how GOOD rice pasta is? I put off eating it even though I bought it last week because I was afraid of it.

In other news, I am officially out of food save for a bag of shrimp and some random things that can't be eating on their own, like a tub of cream cheese and a bag of shredded cheese.

Oh, can anyone tell me why I can't have xantham gum? It is literally in every single one of my salad dressings and it took me forever to find those salad dressings! I read the wikipedia entry on it and I couldn't find anything mentioning any of my allergens, but I had been warned to stay away from it. If I can't get an answer I might keep eating it.

Oh and I have had a hard lump in my throat since I woke up this morning over 12 hours ago. I assume it is something I ate, isn't that an allergy symptom? Tighening esophagus or something? I feel fine otherwise, but I had a bad bellyache last night. Did I eat anything bad? Literally EVERYTHING I hate eaten or drank is posted here.

Lastly I want to thank Anonymous who took the time to leave me long, time consuming, and very helpful comments. I really appreciate your time, stranger!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-xanthan-gum.htm

The above is a link to an article on how xanthan gum is made. I had originally thought it was corn, but as it turns out it is a bacteria that is fed corn to grow. This is why corn allergy suffers are best served staying clear of the stuff.

Since it is so terribly hard these days especially to find good, hypoallergenic food, it isn't practical to avoid everything forever unless you are truly allergic to it. So I would ask, is this a trial diet, or did your doctor diagnose a true allergy (and not intolerance)? The things you experience anaphalaxis and other true allergy symptoms to (rash, swelling, tingling, fever), you really do need to stay away from.

If corn is not one of these, I would suggest that you go ahead and at least adhere to the diet completely for a minimum of six weeks, just to get the toxins out of your system. Sometimes food intolerances can lessen or even go away once antibodies are flushed from the system. The only way to do this is to completely abstain from ingesting the offending substance, including derivitives of the substance.

So for corn, this would include xanthan gum, corn syrup, maltodextrin, dextrose, and distilled vinegar (sorry, I know you love those pickles... I hated that part, too). Possibly citric acid as well, since it can be derived from corn and they don't tell you on the label where they got it from.

After the trial is over, reintroduce the offending substance (one at a time, so you can tell definitively) and see over the course of three days if you experience any symptoms. If your doctor did a blood test, and not a food elimination diet challenge, you might want to take the time to go see a dietician or naturopathic doctor for a full allergy elimination diet protocol.

I am a sufferer of Chronic Fatigue, and I did the Allergy Elimination Diet Challenge under the care of a Naturopathic Doctor. She also prescribed a detox treatment protocol for overgrowth of fungi in the intestines, which I recently completed. It is hard, but it is so worth it!!! That diet is the single best thing I've ever done for myself, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has food allergies.

You are very welcome. I responded to a posting of yours on LJ, too, if you have any questions you can send me a message there anytime (lyciumchld). :) It must seem strange, a complete stranger responding like this, but having been through this myself I know how hard it is, and I want to give back now that I have learned so much.